Changeover Time ReuctionThe Initial State of the Aerosol Line 5 Gasser changeover was 110 minutes. After the SMED event, the confirmed state was 25 minutes and 51 seconds, a 76% improvement!
Improved FlexibilityA 76% reduction in changeover time has allowed Aerofil to run more products, more frequently.
SMED Case Study
Improving Gasser changeover times through SMED events.
At one point in time, the gasser on Aerosol Line 5 was identified through downtime frequency sheets as the piece of equipment with the highest average changeover time.
The gasser on Aerosol Line 5 had the highest average changeover time at 107 minutes, as identified by the Aerofil Downtime Frequency Sheet. Reducing that changeover time would allow Aerofil to better support their customers needs. The six person Rapid Improvement Event Team made an aggressive goal, aiming for a 50% reduction in changeover time.
The solution approach for the team was to:
- Move internal activities to external
- Eliminate adjustments by changing to settings
- Kaizen remaining internal tasks
- Standardize the set-up process and make it visual
- Establish methods to assure sustainment of the gains and continued improvement
The rapid experiment performed by the team with the most dramatic impact was to modify the can locators so that tools were not necessary to change them out. By making this portion of the changeover tool-less, the team saved 22 minutes of downtime.
When the week started, the Aerosol Line 5 gasser took 110 minutes to changeover. After the weeklong Rapid Improvement Event, the gasser changeover time was reduced to 25 minutes and 51 seconds, a 76% improvement.
Things that helped the team:
- Having lots of experienced people on the team
- New SMED module was easy to follow
- Everyone was open minded with the Rapid Experiments
- Being able to shut down the line any time the team needed it
- Rapid Experiments went very well